Healthy societies, resilient economies and thriving ecosystems have one thing in common: breakthrough innovations. Through your research, you have the privilege to be among those who actively build the world of tomorrow and tackle humankinds’ biggest on-going challenges. With the i²c STARTacademy, we provide TU Wien scientists with the infrastructure, focus and guidance needed to understand what it takes to implement their research and ideas into new products and services – and bring it to the society.
"TU Wien is the source of Deep Tech innovation. The i²c STARTacademy provides an entry point to the missing practical know-how required for the development of a potential new business."
Director Innovation Incubation Center (i²c)
Empowering Breakthroughs Reach Society
Does your research have the potential to become a product or service? Could it be more than a publication or a PhD thesis? Do you have what it takes to become a sciencepreneur?
Get the influx of know-how, coaching and mentorship from people who have built working, profitable and scalable businesses. We help you to view your project through the lenses of the industry and become a sciencepreuer in your field – whether you opt for a career in academia or in the business world.
Over the course of three full days, you will receive guidance in investigating and identifying potential markets, how to derive a viable business model, how to create a fundraising strategy and how to present your technology to non-experts.
Why participate in the i2c STARTacademy?
- get familiar with the process of transferring academic research into products
- identify application fields and market opportunities for your research results
- Derive a viable business model, go-to-market & financial strategy for your research
- Meet and experience mentoring from inter-/national coaches, founders, trainers, industry representatives and investors that are hand-picked for your research project
- Improve the ability to pitch an idea and to present and communicate your research result to non-experts
- Enhance your entrepreneurial and leadership competencies
- grow a different mindset that can help you to pursue a career outside academia
- Gain the inspiration and motivation needed for taking the next steps
- get full access to the vibrant i²c Founder community, Industry and Investor Network
- Get the chance to win the i²c Award, a scholarship granted to PhDs with a high potential research result. It offers PhD graduates an alternative career path and the opportunity to focus on the commercialization of their PhD result with a basic monthly income for 5 months after finishing their contract with TU Wien. This award comes with admittance into the TUW i²ncubator and thus, office space in the TU Wien Founder Space for 1 year.
"The i²c Award really gave me a boost of motivation on the way to envision a business case around the technology I developed in my Ph.D. research. The i²c STARTacademy was the first occasion in which I presented my research in an entrepreneurial context. The fact that the expert jury decided that my idea deserves an award convinced me to continue to work on the transformation of my research into a startup, which is now - 6 years later - my full-time mission."
Co-Founder & Managing Director prewave
What to expect during the STARTacademy?
The i²c STARTacademy is a program offered annually at TU Wien to its academic personnel. In 2024, the i²c STARTacademy will take place from February 27th until February 29th and is a guided program for developing a business model and go-to-market strategy for your research result.
Impressions from the Industry
Impressions from Participants
i²c STARTacademy at a glance
TU Wien scientists, engineers and PhD candidates from all disciplines. We are looking for your PhD and research results paired with your general interest and motivation to turn your research into a business, a product or a service.
Bootcamp with a maximum number of 10 projects (max. 4 team members per project). The teams work on their own technology or research result.
3 days intensive training and workshop Pitch-event with a jury of experts at the TUW Innovation Summit - i²c Networking Friday on March 1st, 2024.
Bootcamp Date & Location:
February 27th - February 29th, 2024 (bootcamp)
Participation is free of charge for TUW academic personnel and includes participation at the workshop, mentoring and access to our top network as well as full catering over the duration of the workshop.
The overall fee for non-TUW projects is EUR 6.500/project. Not Included: accommodation, travel costs and daily allowances.
Date: October 26th, 10am, 2023
Location: Taubstummengasse 11, 4th floor, TUW Innovation Incubation Center
Get introduced to the i²c STARTacademy format, meet former alumni & the i²c team as well as find out all the details about the i²c Award.
Applications have to be submitted by October 28th digitally using the online application form.
Fluency in English is required.
i²c STARTacademy at a glance
"I am completely overwhelmed by all the amazing things I learned in such a short time. I especially value the ratio of mentors to teams. That allowed us to have one-on-one discussions with exceptional and experienced people."
i²c STARTacademy Alumna, Co-Founder and CSO of UGP materials,
Researcher and Lecturer at TU Wien