i²c Curriculum DEMO DAY 2018
i²c Curriculum DEMO DAY 2018
On June 20th 2018, the Innovation Incubation Center (i²c) TU Wien invited everybody, who is interested in innovation projects coming from TU Wien, to the i²c Curriculum Demo Day at TUtheSky – the pitch challenge of the i²c Curriculum batch #6, where 12 student-teams were competing for pre-seed prizes.
About the i²c Curriculum
The supplementary curriculum offered by the i²c provides a premium, hands-on education on intra- and entrepreneurship for TU Wien-students of all faculties. Within two semesters, a selected group of students receives input and mentoring in all relevant topics preparing them for a company foundation or a career in corporate innovation management. Under the close guidance of experienced mentors, the students shape innovative ideas and implement the lessons learned in their own projects. The result of one-year supplementary education is presented to a jury of investors and community experts at the final pitch challenge – the Demo Day.
Welcome Note and Alumni Impulse Talk
Birgit Hofreiter, director of the i²c, and Nathalie Köck, Program Manager of the i²c Curriculum, opened the event with a welcome note. The event was moderated by Daniel Cronin, who handed over the microphone afterward to Christoph Krofitsch, alumnus of the curriculum batch #4 and Co-founder & COO of byrd technologies. In his alumni impulse talk, Christoph shared his “Success Story Byrd: From University Project to Logistic Start-up of the Year 2017 – About Pivoting, Expanding and Disrupting the Logistics Industry”. He gave many exciting and entertaining insights into their last years’ process from i²c project to internationally successful start-up.
The Pitch Challenge: Jury + Projects
Next on the agenda was the highlight of the evening: The pitch challenge of the batch #6 projects. The students pitched in front of the critical eyes of the early-stage investors Thomas Ecker, Senior Investment Manager at tecnet equity and Markus Lang, Managing Director of Pioneers Ventures Other jury members were the community experts Gabriele Tatzberger, Head of Start-up Services at the Vienna Business Agency, Katja Müller-Happe, Project Manager Innovationsradar at Außenwirtschaft Austria and Marlis Baurecht, Director Entrepreneurship, Property Rights and Seed Finance at the Austria Wirtschaftsservice (aws). The sixth jury member was Birgit Hofreiter, Director of the i²c and CEO of the TUWi²ncubator.
The following 12 projects from class 2017 were participating in the pitch challenge:
- ARIOT: ARIOT helps companies to save time in managing their buildings by providing easy access to all relevant building data of different systems in one coherent dashboard.
- FlashMail: Flashmail makes dealing with your daily e-mail fast and stress free.
- Intrsts: Intrsts is an app, which helps young people to find their interests and educational offerings by swiping through facts of different knowledge areas.
- nuDB: nuDB is a cloud platform that helps small businesses to manage customer data and projects.
- RegioVeritas: RegioVeritas shows what the vineyard really needs.
- ShareMotions: ShareMotions creates your personalized marathon video with zero effort.
- Simply Good Topos: Simply Good Topos is a digital rock climbing guide, supporting route builders.
- SMART LIGHTS: SMART LIGHTS offers a smart city IoT controller that saves energy, money and takes care of the environment.
- io: tandlr.io is a friendly chatbot who helps you find the best products.
- Turbulence Solutions: Turbulence Solutions is making flights turbulence-free.
- Weed2Vapor: Weed2Vapor produces the vaporizer for the early majority of legal cannabis consumers.
- WITIT: WITIT is an adaptive learning platform, which enables teachers to help their students achieve maximum of their learning abilities.
One of the students of class 2017, Roland Prinz, summarized the last year as follows: “It was an awesome year, we learned a lot and we will definitely never forget it. We started with our ideas, we had a seminar regarding creativity and idea generation in the beginning. After that, everyone selected a project, team members joined and we turned out to be 12 different teams with reasonable ideas to build a start-up with. Today was the big day of presenting them and I hope everybody liked the results!”
The Pitch Challenge Winners
The jury indeed liked the results and awarded the best teams with special prizes. Here are the winners:
- Simply Good Topos won the “10h Individual Face-2-Face Expansion Coaching for Start-ups” sponsored by the Vienna Business Agency and the “Acceptance into the TUWi²ncubator incl. Office Space at the i²c FounderSpace”.
- RegioVeritas received also two awards: “Investment Mentoring Session & Fast Lane To Pioneers Ventures” from the early-stage investor and the “Participation in the Alpbach Summer School on Entrepreneurship” sponsored by i²c.
- ARIOT was awarded with the “Wildcard for the aws First Startup Camp and free IP-Coaching Session with our Experts” by Austria Wirtschaftsservice.
- io won a ticket for a “Blockchain Workshop – Convergence of Future Technologies Blockchain, AI and IoT” sponsored by WKO.
- Turbulence Solutions received the award “500 in Cash & Individual IP & Financing Consulting” by Tecnet Equity.
We asked the jury members how they liked the pitch challenge and here is what they said:
- Markus Lang, Managing Director of Pioneers Ventures: “Having been amongst the first investors in three i²c companies, it is super cool for us to be back every year and to see what happened with the last class. It is always amazing how tech-heavy the solutions are. For us, as tech-focused investor, this is crucial. Also, the quality of the pitches increases year over year – apparently you are doing a great job here.”
- Gabriele Tatzberger, Head of Start-up Services at the Vienna Business Agency: “As we heard today, there are so many good technologies and good teams that are supported very well by i²c. I’m always happy to be here and i²c is doing an amazing job.”
- Marlis Baurecht, Director Entrepreneurship, Property Rights and Seed Finance Austria Wirtschaftsservice: “It were fantastic pitches today, I really enjoyed the highly motivated teams.”
Congratulations to all teams for their great performance! It was an intensive but instructive year and all students can be proud of their development. We will for sure hear more about their projects in the near future.
Thanks to our cooperation partners Vienna Business Agency and Austria Wirtschaftsservice, our award sponsors Außenwirtschaft Austria, Pioneers Ventures and tecnet equity and to all our guests, who made this evening so special! We are already looking forward to next year!